Cantonment Board Office
A Cantonment as defined in the dictionary means the temporary quarters of troops when taking part in manoeuvres etc. for more than 200 years, it has been applied to permanent Military Stations in India; in which troops are being regularly quartered. In the first quarter of the 19th century Local Govt. were promulgated. By regulation III of 1809, the support of police and maintenance of peace within the limits of Cantonments which were originally Military Campus, Stations and posts but were fast developing in to military towns was vested in the officer commanding troops. The commanding officers were fix the limits of the Cantonments and Military Bazaars in concert with the Dist. Magistrate. The regulation provided for the demarcation of area within which strict rules were to be enforced by the officer commanding in consultation with Magistrates were framed in Bombay & Madras Presidencies. The Cantonment Committee was setup after creation of a modern Municipality under the conservancy Act X of 1842 on the basis of Bengal.
It is seen from proceedings of Cantonment Committee of the 1879 the Ahmednagar Cantonment was established before 1879. In 1889 the cantonment Act XIII, was passed which extended to all Cantonments in British India. It provided for Estt. Of a Cantonment Authority to deal with various municipal functions in the Cantonment. The Cantonment Magistrate was to be its member secretary and the Executive Officer, in additions to being a Judge of the Court of small cases. The Cantonment Code was framed in the 1899.
In the year 1916 Bhingar Municipality included within the Cantonment limits vide Govt. of Bombay General Dept. order No.4239 dated 20/06/1916.
The officer commanding the station who was also to be a President of the Cantonment. The Cantonment Act 1924 was introduced in the legislative Assembly on 26/03/1924 for Cantonment Administration.
On the recommendation of the Committee appointed by the Govt. the excise are of Ahmednagar Cantonment was excised by Govt. of India.
The excise area was handed over to the Ahmednagar Municipal Council as per SRO 191 dated 24/05/1958 published in Gazette of India, statutory Rules & Orders issued by the Ministry of Defence, New Delhi dated 31/05/58.
As per 2001 census population was 39941 including army population. Ahmednagar Cantonment Board is a Class – II Cantonment having 14 members out of which 7 members are elected from Civil public and 7 Nos. from Nominated and Ex-Officio. The Board is State-aided Cantonment providing services as per the provision of Cantonments Act,2006.