It was capital of Malik Ahmed, the founder of Nijamshahi called "Kot Nijambag". The fort was built up around radius of 1 mile and 80 yard having 22 stone guard wall and moat by Hussian Nijamshah during 1560. The Mughal period was followed by half a century of Maratha rule. In 1803, Arthur Wellesley, the Duke of Wellington captured the Ahmendnagar Fort, but handed it over to Peshwa. The British Army firmly took possession of Ahmednagar in 1817 & remained thereafter. In 1830,the British Army began to arrive at Ahmednagar, which became a fully fledged British garrison. The British Army acquired 400 acres of land around the Fort & construction of the Cantonment commenced. The chain suspended bridge was constructed during 1832 by Col. Jecab for Trespassers in the fort. As per detailed accounts published in the Ahmednagar Gazetteer in 1882,a battery of Field Artillery, our companies of European Infantry & one company of Indian Infantry were stationed at Ahmednagar.
Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru with other well known freedom fighters were imprisoned in this fort. Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru had written his 'Discovery of India' famous book in this fort only. At present the beautification of fort is going on through State Tourism Department and Army authorities.Next